Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Happy Mothers' Day


So, here I am, at 12:23 am, deeply contemplating motherhood and thoughts on life. . . O.K not really. I actually just finished cleaning up strawberry milkshake vomit from Paige's bed and I have a load of pillows going just now. I had to stay up long enough to make sure that they spin right in the washing machine, you know instead of going off balance and rocking the washing machine to death. It was either this, or gag through tomorrow's laundry and hope the stains come out. I opted for the late night.


So, here's to all you mothers and caregivers out there who clean up puke, empty containers of smelly 4-week old food from the fridge, deal with messy diapers, spray'n'wash loads and loads of dirty laundry with only a prayer that those nasty stains with come out, scrub at hard water stains in your shower stall until your hands are pruny, completely wipe down your kitchen table and chairs after every messy meal, make attempt after attempt to pull nightly meal ideas out of thin air, scrub globs of dried up toothpaste from your kids' bathroom sink, cabinets and walls, clean out very ripe banana leftovers from the bathroom garbage and, last but not least, pick gum from the pockets of church pants after they have been through the dryer.


What I'm trying to say is. . . Here's to you MOM! If you did it and survived, surely I can do it too! I'm amazed that I can clean up strawberry milkshake puke and do 2 loads of laundry at 1 o'clock in the morning with nothing but empathy in my heart for the sick little girl on the couch. I'm so glad to be her mom.


Oh, I better go! The washing machine is about to break through the wall to the garage. I love you MOM! Thanks for giving us a great example to follow!

9 comments:

Elicia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elicia said...

Amen! So so so very true. Very nicely put Kayleen and I hope that Paige gets better soon. Being sick is the pits!

Hillary said...

I am positive that you are a great mommy. You said it so well, too! I hope she starts feeling better soon. I am working on bloody laundry at the moment. UGHH!

mic said...

oh man, I'm the one that gets the puke!! Luckily our kids hardly ever do it. Happy Mothers day to all you Moms. We Dads sure appreciate you.

Micaela said...

That was a very sweet thought Kayleen. I was just cleaning toothpaste from Jayden's bathroom sink today but without the happy thoughts :) Thanks for the better perspective!

Becky T said...

Oh, Kayleen! How sweet was this?! Isn't this motherhood thing kind of amazing and that through all of the things we deal with, we love our kids?! You are great, Kayleen! I love your perspective!

Elisha said...

I am so sorry to hear you guys have been sick, we went through it last week! I slept underneath Kenadee with a bucket :( However, being a mother IS the best job in the world!

The Wright Family said...

I don't remember the "empathy" part the last time I was up with sick kids. :( Shucks! Thanks for reminding me to stop for just a few minutes and ENJOY the moment!

Melissa Hodgen said...

I mother's love is hard to understand unless you've lived it. Hope Paige feels better and you get some sleep!