Sunday night, I decided to bribe Paige away from her blankie. Blankie is an old friend, one of the oldest. Been with her since the beginning, the crib days. She has hauled Blankie to the movies, on long car trips, on airplanes, to Disneyland, and even out of the country. A stalwart pal, but a negative influence, none the less. Blankie, you see, is the tempter of thumbsucking.
"I promise I won't suck my thumb if I can keep my Blankie," she said frequently with doe eyes. But time and time again I came to find her with her thumb hidden behind that Blankie.
"Paige, I'll trade you your Blankie for that new Ariel polly that you've had your eyes on," I said with intended excitement in my voice.
"OK!"
"Now, you know that once we make this trade, you won't get your Blankie back. I don't want to hear any whining about the Blankie, or I will take the Ariel away. "
"Then I won't have a Blankie or an Ariel?" . . . .Short pause. . . . "OK!"
The Blankie is in the bottom of the tub of baby boy clothes. We won't be getting that out any time soon. Shane let me know that this wouldn't be the end of this conversation come bedtime. Sure enough. 8:00 rolled around and we tucked her in.
"Please, Mom, I really want my Blankie."
"Nope, we made a deal."
First came the crying. Real crying, mind you. The kind that breaks your heart. The poor kid. After all, Blankie has been with her through thick and thin. A kid's best friend. A true comfort. Even when she cut Blankie with the scissors, or threw up all over Blankie, there was no question that Blankie would stand by her. (or lay in a pile by her. . . whatever.)
Then came the wailing and knashing of teeth.
"IEEEYEEE WAAAAAANTT MYYYYEEE BLAAAANKIEEEEEEEE!"
"Was this your idea?" Shane asked.
He warned me that she would put up a fight, after all, she's been fighting since day 1.
He warned me that she would put up a fight, after all, she's been fighting since day 1.
I arranged all of her animals around her in the bed, but 2 minutes later she was standing in the living room with those doe eyes on again.
I layed with her until she stopped crying and fell asleep. The first night since she was 5 months old that she slept without that Blankie. I felt so sad for her. It's the end of an era. . . the Blankie era. My little girl is growing up.
Paige and Blankie after a long night's sleepPaige and Blankie with friend, Macey
Blankie and Paige at Ghiradelli Square
Paige and Blankie on the long flight from Memphis to Cali
Paigey, Blankie, and me at the Idaho Falls Temple on Marilyn and Ryan's wedding day.

Paigey and Blankie enjoying an episode of Elmo's World.

14 comments:
oh, what a sad day for a little girl! Hopefully tonight will go better. Good luck!
It is very sad for poor Paige but I know you'll stick to your guns. After all, thumbsucking is definitely a problem. Zack recently had a retainer that corrected his thumbsucking damage (or at least most of it) and stopped him from sucking. It cost $300 with good insurance so Stick to Your Guns!
You should ask my brother about his "blankie".
Um. But you'll have to write him on his MISSION.
Yep. I said it.
I slept with my blankie last week...Will she get her blankie back when she's as old as me so she can have it for memories? :)
Oh my it is sooooo hard to grow up. I'm proud of her, she is a real trooper. It's kinda of like losing your best friend. She will adjust. Can't wait to hear more. Sounds like the whining is better, progress day by day!!!
Oh, she'll get it back someday when she's married with kids and her kids will giggle when she tells them that she used to sleep with Blankie and suck her thumb around Blankie. . . and then they'll go suck their own thumb with their own blankie. It's a vicious cycle.
So sad! When my parents took away my brothers blankie, I kept it and gave it to him on his graduation night. He almost cried!
yes, the end of an era. poor paige. it really is hard for the kid and the parent, but, with time, it will get easier. that was so cute to see her growing up pics with good ol blankie. miss you guys. give paigy a hug from me!
That is just the saddest post! I serisouly teared up seeing cute little Paigey in her pictures with blankie! Ever sadder? Imagining her trying to fall asleep without it!! Sadness... :( Give her a lot of big hugs!
You are a good mom!!! I know that is a hard one but she will adjust. Hang in there! =) Love the pictures that you have of her with her blankie..... Brings back memories of similar struggles when my kids were little!
Oh it is so sad when they have to let go of their comfort things! But, you were such a good little mommy to lay with her until she went to sleep! And I loved all those pictures! She was just the sweetest little thing:) Good luck with everything. And I'm all up for playing this week. Both boys have been on antibiotics for 2 days now and are soo much better! Gotta love meds!
Oh, I'm so sad. Although, I wish Shannon had a blankie so I could take it away and get her to stop sucking her thumb.
I loved reading your blog! It will be fun to keep in touch a little better this way. Ryan says to tell you hi. Hope you guys are doing well and enjoying some warmth while we're enjoying our SNOW! Aah!
Poor Paige! Poor Kayleen! I think Sam would rather lose a limb than his blankie. That is a battle I never, ever want to have- fortunately, Sam is not a thumb sucker. I was though, yes, right up until third grade. I used to hide behind the rocking chair, and get called baby at school. Do it Kayleen! it's worth the fight!
Post a Comment