Thursday, February 16, 2012

Thumb sucker

I've been having WAY too much fun with this little one.  She's spunky and silly.

(An oldie, but a goodie!  I won't miss her waking up with those giant bleeding scratches on the sides of her nose.)

The thumb sucking had taken on a new level of destruction when she started twirling her hair in to tiny knots and then ripping the knotted hair off of her head.  She is now missing an entire chunk on the side of her head.  It looks like she cut if off with scissors.

So, it was time for an intervention.  We talked about big girls versus babies and thumb sucking.  Then we went to the store to window shop for a motivational toy.

Here it is in all it's glory.  

She is a very decisive girl, and she can always explain her reasoning behind her decisions.  I couldn't figure out why she wanted the beauty parlor, since I'm pretty sure she doesn't even know what it is.  I tried to convince her to get a car scene, a vet scene....any other scene.  She calmly explained to me that she wants the beauty parlor because it comes with two girls.  Silly mommy.

She kept telling me that she was DONE sucking her thumb like a baby because she really wanted her new lego toy.  However, the temptation was still there.

We needed a little help, some backup, if you will.



She watches movies with her little monkey friends, and comes to me to ask for them when she's having a rough time.  So far, so good.


I'm so proud of her.  She's so committed. The first night was rough.  She kept coming out of her room saying that her thumb was cold and she needed to suck on it to warm it up.  I convinced her to warm it under her pillow.

She's come out less and less every night.  I'm so excited to let her choose her toy after such a hard task.  (I would know, I may have sucked my thumb at night until I was 10.  Hey, don't judge.  Just because I earned a bike for a reward....)

1 comment:

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

This is fantastic. You figure out how to wean her off it and I'll steal your method to get Sage to quit sucking on her two fingers. She has holes on the fronts of them from her teeth and pretty much no fingernail on either finger. Crazy girls!